Friday, July 24, 2009

Blood of Ambrose by James Enge (review)



Title: Blood of Ambrose
Author: James Enge
Illustrator: N/A
Pages: N/A
Genre: Fiction
Dewey Decimal: N/A
ISBN:
Cost: $0

Another poor review. And again I hesitate to even call it a review since I didn't finish the book. At least I managed to make it about halfway through before giving up.

This was an Audible selection for me, mainly based on various other online reviews that were all positive. It wasn't until I gave up on the book that I started to see other reviews pop up that were not so positive. So I'm not sure if I was sucked into the hype over the book or not, but the story just didn't live up to what I was expecting. The blurbs sounded decent but the story wasn't there for me.

From what I was able to get out of the book (from what little I listened to), the story follows a young heir to the throne and the ancient wizards/witches that save him from the evil-doing usurpers. Pretty standard/typical fantasy story and I didn't have a problem with that. The problem was with holding my interest. Other than the funny scene with the flying horse, I was bored with the plot and the characters.

Bottom line for me was I didn't like it. That's not to say somebody else won't like it. Clearly others do since they posted positive reviews. So a thanks to Mr. Enge for writing a story and thanks to Audible for making it available. I will be moving on to a different story now.

2 comments:

John Zeleznik said...

I'm presently reading "The Steel Remains" and all I'm going to say is "wow." If you get it BRACE yourself...he makes GRRM look like the Bernstein Bears.

I'm going to download the first Eddings book for my iPod in the next week or so for the elliptical too.

Neil Richard said...

I'm not sure if comparing him to the Berenstein Bears is good or bad. Guess we'll see when I get to reading it.