Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (review)



Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Illustrator: N/A
Kindle Locations: 1,065
Genre: Fiction
Dewey Decimal: F Dic
ISBN: N/A
Kindle Cost: Free

It has been years, decades even since I have read Dickens. And that being high school, it was something I did not want to do.

So I took it upon myself to brush up a little on this classic Christmas tale before attending the local dinner theater's performance of Scrooge. I am glad that I did as it gave me a little more perspective into all of those other versions out there. Everyone from Marc McDermott to Jim Carey have taken on the role of Ebenezer Scrooge (though George C. Scott is my favorite).

Yet when I finally read the original version from Dickens, it carried a little more weight than the usual movie with cartoons or Muppets. I could see the true story behind it without being blinded by the glitter and glamor of Hollywood.

And with that, I would recommend everyone take a moment and read the story. It is not long and not really difficult to read. In fact, I finished it in just a few days with only a few breaks in between to adjust to the odd grammar.

No comments: