Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda (review)



Title: Never Have Your Dog Stuffed
Author: Alan Alda
Illustrator: N/A
Pages: 224
Genre: Biography
Dewey Decimal: B Alda
ISBN: 1-4000-6409-0
Cost: $0

I checked out this book on a whim of sorts. I knew it was out there and vaguely recall hearing a positive review on the radio or newspaper or somewhere that piqued my interest. Once I started reading the book, I was disappointed that I hadn't started this book back when I had first heard about it.

I grew up watching Alan Alda on M*A*S*H. My dad and I would eat dinner and watch the antics of those crazy doctors in Korea (years later I'd realize that Radar looks startlingly like my dad). So I was familiar with his work in that and I've seen him in a few movies and a few episodes of Scientific American Frontiers. And that voice, that character, that personality shows in those works as well as this book.

But what was shocking to me was how much I got sucked in to this work. Clearly it's outside of the genres I usually haunt and yet I was repeatedly pulled back to this book. In fact, it was good enough, that I could actually read while the TV was on. I could actually ignore the TV. Wow. There were other profound learnings in the book as well, and most helped explain how Alda became who he is. And with that, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes form the book: Moderation in all things, including moderation.

No comments: