Friday, March 20, 2009

Reading Update and Upcoming Reading

Since I haven't done much of a reading update in awhile, I figured it was time. So here's where I stand so far with what's on my nightstand.

The Bible - 1 Kings 16
Survive! by Les Stroud - page 114
A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich - page 109
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - page 13
Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda - page 45

Seeing as I just finished Outlander, I've started reading GRRM's A Game of Thrones as requested. I also picked up Alda's book at the library since they didn't have much else that looked interesting.

After that, it will depend on how I feel. I have a galley of a popular 2007/2008 debut coming, but there are still so many books that need my love. It's like being a monkey stranded on an island with a million banana trees. I have no idea where to start.

4 comments:

dennis said...

Great analogy with the monkey... I know the feeling all too well - my wife often laughs at me when I spend 45 minutes going through books looking for my next read.

Neil Richard said...

I think there was an old episode of The Twilight Zone that had a similar theme. A guy survives the end of the world and comes to the library to finally read all the books he wants to and then breaks his glasses. That would be my nightmare, all the books I've ever wanted, and being too blind to read them.

1979 semi-finalist said...

How are you liking Midwife's Tale so far? I'd heard of this and thought it sounded fascinating...

K

Neil Richard said...

The sad news is I'm making very slow progress on it. And not because it isn't interesting, but because I keep pushing it back over more "interesting" books. Essentially, I get sucked into some fantasy novel instead of reading what I've already started.

As for the book itself, so far it's pretty interesting. You get a very in depth view of what life was like for a woman and a midwife in Colonial America. Waaay different than it is today.