Friday, June 12, 2009

Must Write Reviews

I have a lot of reviews that I'm dying to write but I need to finish the books first. So I'll give you a bit of a tease on where I am with some key books.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
I'm kind of on the fence with this one. I've read and heard good things about it but just can't get into the story. I mean, I'm following it, I'm just not getting where it's supposed to take me. In other words, what's the MacGuffin?

The Hornet's Sting by Mark Ryan
Still trying to get through this. It's a decent read and gives a decent account of the WWII spy, but it's not as gripping as other WWII stories have been. Maybe I should write one about my great-uncle.

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
Groovy book, just long. Not that long is bad, I'm glad I have plenty of story to read, but man do I want to write a review for this. So much good stuff in here to talk about.

And that's about it for now. Still plugging away on these and a few others. And of course, the stack of books is starting to call my name. Especially the next GRRM book, but I want to make it through The Way of Shadows first.

7 comments:

ediFanoB said...

Take care that you don't lose the pleasure of reading. Reading should make fun.

Tia Nevitt said...

I should write a post like this. I'm kind of going through the same thing. It's not the books. It's me. I started a mystery series a while back and I didn't really want to stop reading it. But when people send me free books, I feel like I need to make a good attempt to read them. Rather than read what I want to.

Hmm . . . that's a bit twisted.

Neil Richard said...

ediFanoB - Not to worry, reading is still fun. Just need to buckle down a bit more and ignore the TV.

Tia - Yes, a bit twisted, but it makes sense. I have a ton of free PDF books just screaming at me to read them.

1979 semi-finalist said...

Hmm. I'm with you on Wicked. This has been sitting on my shelf forever. What drives me nuts is that I love the concept and want to love the book, but every time I've picked it up the writing just doesn't do it for me. Too bad.

Neil Richard said...

Yes, Wicked isn't as wicked as I'd hoped it would be. Way of the Shadows? Now that's a wicked book. As in wicked cool and wicked evil.

John Zeleznik said...

I got about half way through Wicked and put it aside for something else...the wife and I are going to the show in NYC this summer.

I've heard good things about "The Way of Shadows."

Too bad there's no new John Zeleznik for you to read!

Neil Richard said...

Wicked is close to being dropped, but I'm able to listen to it as more background noise than story so I'm still plugging along.

And it's not my fault there's nothing new for me to read, you're the one slacking on the writing.

And Shadows is getting better and better.