Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Alexander Cipher by Will Adams (review)



Title: The Alexander Cipher
Author: Will Adams
Illustrator: N/A
Pages: 337 (in PDF)
Genre: Fiction
Dewey Decimal: unknown
ISBN: 0446404683
Cost: $0 (free through a Galley source)

So I mentioned this book before when I was in the process of reading it. Well, I'm done. And I want more.

Sure, sure, this author is writing something that will clearly end up in the part of the library as Dirk Pitt, Clive Cussler, and Jack DuBrul. And while most everything in the plot was fairly predictable, there was an oddly pleasant inclusion of small characters. Characters that didn't steal the limelight too much, but helped push the story forward. My favorite was the little girl who was sick with cancer. Yes, even she played a part in the quest to find Alexander's tomb.

Some of the jumping back and forth was a bit too much for me at times. About two-thirds of the way through the novel it really hopped around. I mean like a meth addict on a trampoline. But the action was ever present enough to keep you hooked through out the plot.

With that said, keep an eye out for this novel from Will Adams. It was published across the pond first in November of 2007, but should be appearing on our shores until March of 2009.

His next novel, The Exodus Quest, is already available in the UK, but won't be here until much later (I'd guess Spring of 2010).

No comments: